Should you leave your underwear on? Take it off? What does “Undress to your Comfort Level” really mean?
First off – if you panic at the thought of being completely undressed on the massage table LEAVE YOUR UNDERWEAR ON. You are not required to remove it for a massage in our Lakewood Ranch office. It is 100% your decision and your choice at all times.
Reasons to leave your underwear on:
- You are uncomfortable with taking them off for a massage
- The session will be using a lot of stretching during the massage and you need them for modesty
- You are dealing with incontinence and need to leave them on
- You are dealing with menstruation and need to leave them on
- You are recovering from child birth, or surgery and need to leave them on
- You have any type of contagious skin condition (herpes, pin worms, staph infection, etc)
- You just don’t want to take them off
- And to repeat, you want to keep them on
Reasons to take them off:
- The massage therapist has more direct access to the skin at the top and bottom of your hips.
- The licensed massage therapy provider has more options to treat the gluteal area to help with back and hip pain
- The LMT can use longer, more connected strokes during a relaxation massage
What happens regardless:
- You will be draped during the therapeutic massage with a sheet or towel to keep the 50 yard line and bits in front covered at all times
- Your massage therapist will only touch you in a way that facilitates muscle improvement (we only do therapeutic, legitimate massage here)
- Your manual therapist will only touch areas that you consent to having touched; you should get glute work, but you are not required to
- You should feel comfortable and draft-free at all times during the entire massage
If you have questions about massage therapy draping, please leave a comment!
Call 941-676-3433 to schedule your massage therapy in Lakewood Ranch at Lakewood Ranch Medical Massage or click “book now” to schedule online.